A Letter to Above the Influence

Preach, sister.

I am a twenty-two-year-old student and artist living with fibromyalgia. I suffer every day in living hell, my body burns with pain so bad I can’t even clean or walk my dog. Normal medications for fibro only have a 40% chance of having any effect, but I found one way to help me have the relief that allows me to live a normal, active, pain-free life: Marijuana. When I smoke, the pain melts away, I walk my dog, go to class, clean my house. Normally, I am practically crippled in bed with pain, I am going to a great number of doctors, all who are trying their hardest to help me. But yet, I am a criminal to you people. Your campaign is based on lies and you should be ashamed of your selves. How funny that an anti-drug campaign is backed by big tobacco and alcohol? There is a special place in Hell for two-faced criminals like you, and as a Christian woman, I am going to love and tolerate the s*** out of you, but I will not stop resisting until patients with a legitimate medical condition like myself can get help the way they should.

Source: Sinless Sinner

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “A Letter to Above the Influence”

1. Ian November 2, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Writing a letter to them isnt gonna do s***. They are just a bunch of closed minded assholes who are dead set on the fact that drugs poison youth. In some instances they are right. Hoodlums take drugs then steal all their parents s*** for drugs.

I’m not one against drugs at all. I’ve had many many many experiences. MANY. To this day even. Maybe the propaganda against drugs is a good thing. Keeping the people who cannot handle drugs, immature people, away from drugs. The only people who even believe the bulls*** that ATI says.

I think that most people dont deserve to use drugs. The very experience of mescaline, mushrooms, lsd, dmt.. They don’t deserve it, and cannot handle it. Leads them in wrong directions. Immaturity is the thing here.

F*** above the influence anyhow though. Stupid bastards.

2. Michael November 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I’m below the influence with you! And proud of it!

3. cam November 9, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

above the ignorance!

4. Kacie Creamer November 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

My mother also has fibro I understand but legal prescribed drugs for illness as cancer or fibro are different than illegal drugs that 13 year olds use and think is really cool to do cuse their friends do the Same thing I see this alot people being not ATI because they have fibro or cancer that is not what they mean you think u can stand it your wrong your a different case your legal to use that drug most young teenagers are not you have a right to stand up cause you dont understand what the real case is illegal weed drugs should not be used therefore ATI we are lucky that some kids believe in ATI you just don’t understand the case so please just shut up your not gunna do anything special because you think what you say is ATI shut up legal is different than illegal ok specially when you have an illness so I’ll say STFU thx

• Joel December 20, 2011 at 12:58 am #

Kacie, I have a hard time reading exactly what you mean in your post due to blatant ignorance of grammar and punctuation. However, based off of what I can understand, let me ask you: Have you ever read the side effects associated with many prescription drugs? There are close to 30,000 deaths a year from prescription drug complications. Do you understand the risks of tobacco use and alcohol? Both of these legal drugs cause more deaths a year than any other form of illicit drug use combined. Tobacco alone killed close to 500,000 people in 2010 and Alcohol is linked to 75,000 deaths a year. Marijuana has never killed a single person directly. It may not cure, but it can aid in pain relief, and gives cancer and terminal illness patients hope for a better life.

• kelly February 23, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

its quite unfortunate that Kacie has never been enlightened by the truth. She is just one of those people who eat up all the bulls*** big corporations feed them. i wish she would quit being ignorant for a moment just so she could see all the good things marijuana does for people. YES it has certain negative side effects but as joel has said, it has not killed a single person unlike tobacco which is responsible for 440,000 deaths and alcohol which kills 75,000 people a year, JUST IN THE US! If these substances are considered “legal” although they have extremely negative life-long side effects then marijuana and its many positive uses should also be considered “legal”.

Let me do what I want with my life. I have a job, im in college (prob more than you can say haha), all I want to do once in a while is smoke a blunt, eat some pizza and chill, im not hurting anyone, including you Kacie. I don’t criticize you for what you believe in (although quite frankly i think you are a misguided idiot), i’m not infringing on your constitutional rights, what I do does not concern you in this regard. People like you are why this country is so retarded and backwards, you are a perfect example of the naive american falling prey to the media and big corporations. You believe anything you are told because your too f***ing lazy to come to your own conclusions.

I’m happy to say i’m pro-marijuana and i have a mind of my own, making my own decisions and following my own heart and for that I am a much better person than you ever will be and in a few years when marijuana is legalized (because we all know it will be EVENTUALLY) i hope you slap yourself in the face and finally shut the f*** up 🙂

• Rebecca December 17, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

You need to really go back to school. Your post is totally unintelligable, so I’m not even sure what your point is. Marijuana is the least detrimental “drug” to society. I don’t think that you should necessarily advocate it as “cool” for young kids and teens to use, but it does serve many purposes and has an abundance of uses.

• Emil Kischmaentukus January 20, 2014 at 9:27 am #

Why is this paragraph one giant, misspelled, un-punctuated sentence? There is no reason why a group of people in a completely different class, situation, and status then the average American should be able to arbitrarily decide what is legal or illegal. Where is this line drawn in the sand? It is because people can grow there own cannabis and most people cannot distill there own alcohol. It can be regulated, taxed, and controlled by the corporations whose lobbyists contribute financially to the campaigns of politicians who make the laws which benefit those corporations. Additionally there is a lot of money to be made in policing anti-drug laws and incarcerating non-violent drug offenders. Why do you think police hide in the bushes to catch speeders rather than sit in the middle of the street with there lights on to deter speeders? Because the money is made is catching criminals, not in preventing the crime. Crimes based on laws which are created for profit by bigwigs who gain financially by enforcing these laws. How about his standard of law: If I am not hurting anybody else, leave me alone! By the way I am not a drug user or a smoker of cannabis, but I support the rights of human beings to do whatever they want as long as they don’t hurt anyone else. The real criminals, other then violent offenders of course, are politicians and law enforcement.

5. Alex November 20, 2011 at 1:05 am #

Kacie I really don’t think you do understand. First you could not possibly know what having fibro feels like. sure you do witness your mother going through agony and I’m sure she probably tells you what it is like, but this does not make you understand what its like. I’m not going to say that I know what its like either. However if marijuana helps her with her pain better than clinically proven drugs with minimal side effects (which is true with marijuana) compared to this prescription drugs why should we not let her take it? It is morally and ethically wrong for us as a society to deprive people of relief.

6. Cat & Leah November 30, 2011 at 12:02 am #

We are frequent marijuana enthusiasts for both medicinal and recreational purposes. If teachers, public officails, or dear old grandma and grandpa would concentrate more on drug education rather than drug resistance, then maybe the number of teenagers using drugs, out of sheer curiosity, would decline. In addition to the medical benefits of Mary Jane, cannabis is currently the U.S.’s largest cash crop. Legal or illegal, marijuana use will prevail.

7. anonymous November 14, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Just need to clarify one point real quick. You are a student. Living with Fibro Mialgia. In a country where Medical Marijuana is on track to become legal in every state, despite the debate over recreational usage. And you, who literally “burn with pain” every day, and are CHRISTIAN, no less, would argue that we should suddenly stop the ad campaign to prevent drug use in minors, simply because you can’t handle yourself without it? I hate to slap you back to reality so hard, but, excuse me, you think that just because YOU are helped by something that actually does damage others, as seen by this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19372456, you think that this justifies the passing of a law that would make it legal for EVERYONE, despite their dubious background, or LACK OF MEDICAL REASON to use it, just so that you can FEEL BETTER???? who exactly do you think you are? you sound like all those conservative pricks defending their guns while their kids go on shooting sprees at the local high school. With all due respect, you have no right to belittle ATI for spreading a good message, which is simply that MINORS SHOULDN’T BE EXPOSED TO F****** DRUGS.

• mat January 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

damn, anonymous needs some weed.

• Emil Kischmaentukus January 20, 2014 at 9:36 am #

“Young cannabis smokers run risk of lower IQ, report claims” is the link you posted. Are you kidding me?

Do you think IQ would be lower in people who drink alcohol? Or smoke cigarettes? Or watch South Park? Or drink soda? Or play basketball? Or wear hats? Where is the line? How about you keep track of yourself and your family, and I’ll do the same. Focus your efforts on drug education, rather then ignorantly creating laws which may prevent people from obtaining a natural substance that could dramatically improve their lives. Get the government out of people’s lives as much as possible. Everything they touch goes to hell. No more forced charity and no more interfering with people’s lives!

8. kaitlyn January 29, 2014 at 12:08 pm #

Lmao are you guys so ingrained in anti- marijuana hysteria, that you forget what drugs are prescribed?!!! oxycontin, adderall(synthetic meth), and are you fucking deaf when drug commercials come on, and half of them are side effects…including death. people heavily abuse these drugs as well. Its wrong, but if its allowing you to have a healthier productive life, its between you and your dr! of course people abuse the system, if your so against it, keep it out of your home! noones asking you to change your opinoin, but push it on those who dont want it!!!

9. fortruth March 15, 2015 at 7:32 pm #

Its stupid dumb fucks like you anonymous that make the world a worse place, and give humans as a race a bad name. There are SOME negative effects of marijuana, just as there are to everything, but the simple truth is that its pretty much harmless. And you clearly haven’t done your research if you think there is no medicinal value to it, it has time and time again been proven to have a definite value. So before you open your stupid fucking mouth to bitch about something you don’t like and attempt to make others seem dumb, just know that you’re only making yourself look more like the shit head you really are. Don’t come around feeling so high and fucking mighty, once again, its dumbass close-minded, shit for brains trash like you that are a poison to the human race.

10. Rob October 17, 2015 at 7:08 am #

OK, while I agree in spirit with the letter, I did find at least one thing disturbingly inaccurate. Namely that the “Above the Influence” campaign is funded by the Tobacco and Alcohol industries. It strains the credibility a bit when you salt a reasoned statement with an easily researched fact. The Partnership for a Drug Free America, famous for the “This is your brain on drugs” ad was the organization that was cited in the Village Voice as having received monies from a number of Pharmaceutical, Tobacco and Alcohol lobbies.

I’m just saying there’s enough factual ammunition out there without having to rely on bad information. Otherwise, I’m in total agreement.