In the state of Michigan, if you take a medicine legally prescribed to you by a physician to treat an illness you have been diagnosed with, one particularly cantankerous county judge thinks he has the right to take your child away and throw you in prison.  If that is not bad enough, this so-called judge has also decided he has the right to punish you for taking your medicine several weeks before he even told you to stop taking your medicine. Think about that for a minute.

A father from Michigan is sentenced to three days in jail and may lose custody of his 10-year-old daughter because he took his medicine.  As shown in the video from theGrio.com, Mr. Livingston Thompson Jr. has epilepsy and has been dealing with it for 20 years.  According to him, nothing has helped except for medical marijuana.

“It relaxes me. I’m not as stressed. I discovered that my epileptic seizures — some of them are stress activated,” says Thompson.

Still, his medication of choice could cost him his daughter, Shylynn.

“If I lost custody of my daughter it would crush me. They’d probably see a lot more episodes,” he says.

All of this trouble and pain is thanks to one arrogant, narrow-minded, puny man who believes that he has the right to decided what is best for everyone else while he hides behind a bench and a robe.   His prejudice and ignorance take precedence over his logic, reason, compassion, and obviously his ability to judge others.  An article written by Andy Balaskovitz at lansingcitypulse.com sheds some more light on either the judge’s ignorance or his willingness to manipulate the system to punish someone with whom he disagrees.

“After months in the Ingham Circuit Court family division system, Thompson was ordered on June 8 by Judge Richard Garcia to stop using marijuana as part of the conditions to maintain custody of his daughter. But because Thompson tested positive twice for using marijuana since June 8, Garcia sentenced Thompson to three days in Ingham County Jail for ‘woeful contempt of court orders.'”

So if we assume Mr. Thompson took his medicine the morning before the court case and then actually obeyed this ludicrous court ruling, June 8th was the last time he consumed his medicine.  For those individuals who have been forced to submit to a drug test for employment reasons, it is common knowledge that these tests can give a positive result for up to 2-3 months for THC, the naturally occurring substance found in the cannabis plant which the government has incorrectly labeled as a drug.  Simple math will show even the judicially moronic that Mr. Thompson could test positive as late as the 10th of August.  I don’t possess the plethora of doctorates and degrees that elevated Judge Dick Garcia to his “esteemed” position, but I do know that the federal government is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, section 9 of the U.S. Constitution and the states are prohibited from the same by clause 1 of Article I, section 10.  It appears the judge is punishing Mr. Thompson “ex post facto.”

According to a story by Meaghan M. Norman at WILX News 10 in Lansing, Michigan:

“I understand he says he has a license. I told him a long time ago that I don’t accept that on its face value,” Judge Garcia said frankly. “I think he obtained that card fraudulently. I don’t think there’s a legitimate reason why he needs to smoke pot because he may have epilepsy.”

The judge was in no mood for excuses and doesn’t believe the state’s medical marijuana statute protects Livingston Thompson Jr., at all as he ordered Thompson to spend the upcoming weekend in jail.”

Well, there you have it.  Judge Garcia has been secretly attending medical school at night and now gives a free second opinion along with issuing a legal verdict.   He is sure full of second opinions and is not afraid to hand them out either.  Did you notice how the arrogant prick believes he has the ability to diagnose Mr. Thompson, assess his medical needs, and choose the best medicine for him and his family all while dressed in a robe and sitting 20 feet away behind a bench?  Super Doctor Judge Garcia, you are amazing.

Capital City Caregivers, a medical marijuana care clinic located in Lansing, Michigan, reports that “Inspired by this family’s hardship, Michigan Medical Marijuana Handbook author Mike Malott has organized the Michigan Medical Marijuana Parents Association, in the hopes of providing legal defense funding assistance for parents in Michigan who face losing their children because they are legal patients.”

The Michigan Medical Marijuana Parents Association is asking for donations to fuel Thompson’s legal defense.

Donations can be made out to:

Livingston Thompson Jr. Legal Defense Fund
C/O Newburg Law, PLLC
4112 W. St. Joe Hwy
Lansing, MI 48917

At least something good can come out of this situation.

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “Michigan Judge Jails Medical Marijuana Patient for Following Doctors’ Orders Then Steals His Daughter”

1. Mich De Lorme July 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Michigan Judge Jails Medical Marijuana Patient for Following Doctors’ Orders Then Steals His Daughter http://su.pr/6zPzdD

2. Anderson August 6, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Who’s more incompetent, the judge or the lawyer who failed to call a doctor as an expert witness to Mr. Thompson’s having epilepsy?

3. Ashley December 17, 2015 at 5:30 am #

Judge gracia is a joke! He shouldnt be a judge! I have had to deal with him on two different cases. Both cases he made his judgement before really getting to the bottom of either case. He is very prejudice and never in the mood to hear anything. He acts as if he knows everything and he is always right just because he has the power to make judgement on other peoples lives. He just doesn’t understand he is hurting more then he is helping.

4. Mary thornton December 17, 2015 at 9:10 pm #

So I have known this Judge for a long time since he has been on the bench. First of all, the fact that someone would publish something like this is ASSININE in itself. Name calling, and some of the wording here I would guess that this is not anything of substance. First of all you do NOT Test positive for two months…. MAYBE a month if you use heavily. That’s comical….My guess….. Knowing Judge Garcia is that this was ONE issue and whoever wrote this probably left that part out?? Convienuent…. If there is a Judge who is passionate about what he does and knows the law and makes very difficult decisions it is this one ……. I have been in front of him myself and no……. When things don’t go so well it’s not fun……. My daughter ended up in the youth center and it SUCKED……. But she turned around. I have battled with this man in court professionally and it can be tiresome. Medical marijuana is a hot topic…… But that is a state level issue and not federal and it doesn’t have to be recognized …… And the government falsely labeled marijuana a drug? Are YOU high???? Yes it is. It alters your thinking period…… So go ahead and slam Judge Garcia but he has protected the children of this community for decades probably from people like yourself……. And Anderson had a good point? Where the expert to confirm this medication as necessary? If he stressed out causing seizures??? Lol. THAT is not epilepsy…….. So get your facts straight before putting someone on blast and I’ll bet that there were additional issues other than smoking some weed…… Smoking weed generally leads into some neglect issues and probably school problems for the girl……. So get those facts straight first and let’s stop name calling…. Makes for a one sided arguement as you look ignorant as that is not necessary to get your point acceiaa

5. Jess December 18, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

If you want to site the Federal document, the Constitution to support your argument, you may also want to take note of the fact that medical marijuana is not Federally recognized. I don’t agree with the Judge’s decision because I have seen medical marijuana help people. However, I have also seen parents choose drugs over their children in family court.

6. Angry December 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm #

This judge does not care even if Thompson does all class and requirements from the court his custody still will remain up in the air. I personally know someone who did everything asked and still lost custody of 2 children, who were released into the system and adopted. All the while they had parents who loved and did all they could do to keep them in the home. I don’t blame the lawyer as this judge doesn’t consider legal defense. He needs to be looked at and cases need to be reviewed at how many lives he has effected negatively dispite completing any conditions he sets for families to remain in tact.