Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence

This is just a small collection of the print ads being used by Above the Influence. All but one are for cannabis. Sorry, I couldn’t resist adding the cocaine one. It was simply too funny.

Apparently, being a burrito taster is one of the few jobs available to cannabis tokers. I don’t mind the anti-cannabis clowns turning children and teens away from the substance, but this is just ridiculous. I’d be willing to bet this ad was drafted by a stoner. A graphic designer and not a burrito taster.

Nevermind that, we can also competently operate a television remote. Just so you know, my remote isn’t even programmed. I guess I’ll just have to go with the burrito tasting.

There’s one for all of us smokers. I bet Irv Rosenfeld will quit his job as a stockbroker and take them up on this. No one wants to be a full-time sucker, even non-smokers.

Don’t snort coke (I mean it, the shit is awful), you may turn to goo.

Smoke reefer and get lost. You’ll never find your way back to the reality you were running from.

The best solution for a smoker with a dog? Just get a backyard and then he can walk himself, leaving you to the wonders of sloth forever.

That’s why I smoke. To get laid.

Here are posters added by readers:

Tags: , , , ,

114 Responses to “Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence”

1. YogaforCynics December 2, 2008 at 3:12 pm #

Gotta admit the pot leaf maze one is pretty clever….

2. michelle December 2, 2008 at 3:28 pm #

if *above the influence* really wants to be informative, maybe they should start with facts …. oh well, i guess the *facts* might give the wrong impression, like truth about the government and the “lost war on drugs”.

3. Kimberly Bock December 2, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

Hmm, ‘potheads’..I took the blow on that one. The ads are humorous, but, ‘potheads’ are falsely stigmatized. Not everyone who smokes pot turns into a bowl of jello.

Take me for example, I recently removed pot from my uhem diet. It was the last of a looong line of substances on the list to go.

You see, I believe in it’s medicinal properties to be beneficial and of great value to suffering ones, whether it be physical or (some) mental conditions.

Without pot, I would’ve NEVER been able to tolerate kicking the needle, kicking the crack, or changing behaviors without it. I am Bipolar and have been given every possible combo of meds and have only, in the last couple of weeks found a combo of meds that seem to ‘hold down the fort.’ (I am 38. It took approx 21 yrs)

Yes, it was an illegal choice, yet the better of two evils for me. I wouldve been under a bridge with fellow junkies as we speak had it not kept me grounded. Gladly, if consequences were to follow as I used, I would’ve welcomed it before welcoming the suffering I’ve lived with for most of my life.

I fly at warp speed, o naturale, so pot ‘helped’ to calm me. I still had a tremendous amount of energy. More than the ‘normal’ people around me.

Like anything else on this planet that is pleasurable, it can be addictive. So can cake for overeaters.

Serial killers like alcohol, are not only legal but encouraged by grown men and women who KNOW and understand it’s murderous rampage. And it does not discriminate. That any of us allow alcohol to be legal baffles me. But then again, if it were to be responsible for the car accident that killed a loved one, they begin to think twice. when too late.

I do not believe we need yet another over the counter mush brain creator. We all know there will be those who abuse it as we are gimme gimme gimme types of people today. If it feels good do it..

But it should be properly noted by our government for it’s medicinal uses and be made available by prescription for those in dire need. It is far safer than most drugs that are legally on the market today.

I hope it never hits the street wide open, but, sufferers are in need of help that they are otherwise sometimes deprived of. I am living proof.

Am I expendable? Is anyone? Alcohol kills. Pot has real life medicinal healthy potential.

PS: I am not irritated or anything. Just a blabber mouth. And these photos are a hoot. lol

4. origin December 2, 2008 at 6:32 pm #

PROPAGANDA. Not a single fact on any of those above the influence posters. Did you know that The Partnership for a Drug Free America has THE BIGGEST ad budget of anything in America, even the Armed Forces? This is not about public health.

5. brian December 3, 2008 at 12:04 pm #

Re: origin –

Can you supply some sources for your claim that the PDFA has the biggest budget of anything in America? I somehow doubt that that is true, considering the American Armed Forces has an approximate yearly budget of around $700 billion… there is no way that a non-profit organization like the PDFA can come anywhere near that budget, no matter how much they receive in donations from the likes of the big Pharma companies, the Cig companies, and the Beer companies (and I find it hilarious and pathetic that they get so much money from companies that for all intents and purposes are drug-producing companies).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDFA#Criticism

6. drew December 3, 2008 at 12:40 pm #

BRIAN:
    he said biggest budget for an ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT.
    He is saying that the advertising budget for the PDFA is greater than the ADVERTISING budget of the US armed forces. Which is possible, though the army has plenty of ads, i would have to say that PDFA ads pop up in my life at least 5 times as often.

Also, it is ridiculous that none of these ads offers any facts about drug use, and rely on humor and gross stereotyping to try to either scare kids, or get them thinking “hey, these PDFA guys get our hip teenage humor, lets do what they say!”
    They can easily (and do) print ads with statistics about tobacco and lung cancer, about drinking and liver damage, about teenage alcohol poisoning, about drunk driving fatalities. Unfortunately they dont have any facts about pot causing health problems, or leading to fatalities, so they have to come up with other screwy reasons that its bad.
    Remember, the man we just elected president is open about the fact that he smoked pot, doesnt look like it kept him unemployed.

7. thewallofchina December 3, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

Yeah, dude. I’ve emailed Uranus like 16 times when I get baked. I think it’s necessary.

The hat out of beef, though. That’s just silly.

8. Alex December 3, 2008 at 1:10 pm #

He said ad budget, the amount spent on advertising. The Us armed forces has a $700 billion total annual budget. The partnership for a drug free america is an organization based entirely around advertising, so it would make sense that their advertising budget would be a huge portion of their entire budget.

9. fcw December 3, 2008 at 1:14 pm #

Love that first one. I’ve smoked cannabis for 37 years (more than half the time it’s been illegal). I graduated at the top of my class in both high school and college, started grad school at age 20, and had a 24-year career as a software engineer. I retired on my savings from that career two years ago, when I was 49. But hey, maybe I should have tried that couch-guard thing.

I would never have believed in 1971, when I first lit up, that it would still be illegal in 2008. It’s the most ridiculous law in history.

10. Anal_Avenger December 3, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

When I first saw the ad for Proff. Burrito Taster, I was so psyched :|

Fuck the man! Always lyin to me. :( *sob*

11. Frank Whitehouse December 3, 2008 at 1:22 pm #

Man these squares up in Washington have no idea what makes kids work. It’s funny most lame-brain parent types sit around for hours watching the tube, eating some grub the little woman cooked up, jealously guarding their spot on the couch…it’s the American dream. Yet when some kid is just looking to have some fun smokes some dope, eats a burrito or two, giggles while watching some TV show all while sitting on mom and dads couch it’s cause for alarm. Man getting his is fun; that’s while people do it. Kids like having fun and that’s why they get high. Playing football is dumb and boring and most football players becoming drunken losers later on anyway, usually becoming the drunken dad types who zone out on the tube for hours on end. Only the biggest nerd square is going to be influenced by these uptight ads. Real kids just want to get high and get laid and if anyone says differently, I bet you were probably a pretty lame kid.

12. Mister.de December 3, 2008 at 2:19 pm #

excellent work :D

13. harry December 3, 2008 at 2:19 pm #

Heaps of scientific research and experiences in nations that allow the use of Marijuana show that it is no big deal at all, certainly not compared to an accepted hard-drug like alcohol. The attitude of the society is much more harmful than the substance itself. The government must realize this?

So what can be the real reason to keep Marijuana illegal and lock normal people up in jails? I have heard that prisoners are made to work for nearly nothing; could it be slavery in disguise? (Just guessing here.)

14. subverter December 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm #

people just have irrational fears of things, and when those things are illegal, they feel as though they can give voice to their inanities without being labeled asinine. i blaze, im finishing up my MA, and im on a career path most “omg straight edgers” would kill for. choke on that, fucking uptight conservative jackasses.

15. ms December 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm #

Actually these ads should be commonplace, but the laws should not be. There is evidence that suggests marijuana use by those under a certain adult age DOES cause health problems, including making chemical changes in the brain. The link to schizophrenia is stronger there I believe, but look it up. I don’t think kids should use it period. The risk is too great. They can wait and the advertising campaigns and the education is what they need. But they won’t get hardly any of it because the money goes to “crime-fighting.”

As far as adults though, there’s much less danger, certainly when compared to Alchohol or even caffiene, and MUCH safer than prescription drugs. Look up those stats, I think you’ll be surprised how safe Cannabis is, even if it makes you kooky.

Let’s just remember that when something legal and available, you basically kill off the criminal incentive behind it. Why would I seek out a cannabis dealer when my neighbors might be producing plants? Education is where it’s at. But there’s too much money to be made in putting people in jail. Government seems to like that point of control.

16. Comedy Blog December 3, 2008 at 2:49 pm #

Don’t these just make you want to smoke dope even more?

17. Tim December 3, 2008 at 3:03 pm #

They used to have a hilarious video on their site called “Stoners in the Mist.” It so ridiculous that you can’t help but laugh!!

18. Clyde December 3, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

BS. I make 62k a year, own a new car, have four dogs….and we walk them stoned or not thanks very much, and I smoke pretty much every night (Vaporizer FTW!) So these guys can take their failed drug war and suck my cock. I get it whenever I want it, just have to pick up the phone or send an IM. Just as easy to get as beer.

19. Graham O' Malley December 3, 2008 at 3:32 pm #

Fuck! I guess my masters degree in computer science counts for nothing now, as by smoking regularly all through college and pretty much the last 10 years all I’m qualified to do is be a bad stereotype that sits around doing nothing and eating food……

There should be a law about actually basing these anti-drugs acts on, I don’t know, facts, the truth, logic or rational thought?

20. Jacob December 3, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

Graham, the problem with that plan is that then they wouldn’t be anti-drug ads.

21. Uhoh December 3, 2008 at 4:36 pm #

Does this mean that I’m going to lose my job as an MD because I smoke some pot on the weekends?

22. Someguy December 3, 2008 at 5:03 pm #

You know what all this is? Slander! Steriotyping! Prejudice!

Please check the link in my name to find out how you can join our fight for legalization.

23. KBall December 3, 2008 at 5:54 pm #

If smoking weed and playing Madden is wrong, then I don’t want to be right!

24. duncan_mcloud December 3, 2008 at 7:02 pm #

I think that what most scares the conservatives is the possibility of escalation. One could very reasonably argue that if marijuana were to be legalized then the users of more serious drugs would feel as they have some justifiable clame as to why their particular pastime should also be legalized. I’ve never smoked weed nor do I intend to once it’s legalized (and it will be) but if that’s how you choose to treat your body and you’ve been educated on the effects then go ahead.

25. The dude December 3, 2008 at 8:08 pm #

My only real problem with anti marijuana advertising is it increases the hostility of non marijuana smokers towards marijuana smokers, and that’s the idea. They know, or at least I hope they do, that they can never ever convince anyone who has ever smoked pot and knows the truth. Their aim is therefore to increase the social stigma associated with pot, in the hope to make it uncool enough to convince people to not try it.

26. bdeimen December 3, 2008 at 8:41 pm #

What I always find amusing is how these ad campaigns use jail time as a way of showing that drugs, specifically marijuana, are harmful, even though the harm comes from the societal attitude and legal situation, not the drug itself.

27. nigger clown December 3, 2008 at 9:07 pm #

fuck i love walking my dog when i am high! do i disprove that picture?

28. Bruno_hakaloogi December 3, 2008 at 9:09 pm #

Many of you have very valid points that I completely agree with. Yea, if gettin hi and playin Call of Duty 4 or W.A.W. is wrong I dont want to be right either KBALL!!

I wish people would open their minds, it is proven to aid cancer patients with numerous symptoms. Who knows what else it can do but we cant find out until a change is made.

They depict your average stoner as a lethargic couch potato who accomplishes nothing, I myself work on a MOTO GP pit crew as the assistant crew chief and love to ride myself. Nothing like a fat bowl of skunk to get me in the mood for a nice sunny afternoon ride down some curvy lake-side roads. I am also an avid rock climber who likes to feel connected to nature and the rock. I may not perform these activities better but I sure as hell dont lose any motor skills nor reaction time and if so its in the nano-seconds. Ive dont a time trial with myself using the same bike, same conditions, half of them high and half of them not. My times, averaged separately, were not 1/10th of a second off. Put that in your hash pipe and smoke it!!!

29. mutant minds December 4, 2008 at 1:20 am #

No jobs for potheads? What? Has someone gone around and killed every musician alive? Did I miss a memo?

30. The HIGHrophant December 4, 2008 at 2:09 am #

If above the influence stuck to the facts about marijuana they’d be saying awesome stuff like “makes you feel amazing!!” and “Makes everything hilarious!!” and “You can’t overdose, have a hangover, or become physically addicted!!” oh and “Makes you eat alot of food, and it’s even more delicious!”

not very anti-drug

31. smokey McTree December 5, 2008 at 1:57 am #

Looks as if the maze one is advertising marijuana as a game cause isnt thats all a maze truely is

32. Calvin December 5, 2008 at 2:41 am #

I guess all the reefer I’ve smoked that’s enabled me to understand myself and those around me better, helping me with my psychology degree was bullshit. I guess if I want to keep smoking, I should drop out of grad school and scrap my case study.

33. dan December 5, 2008 at 3:42 am #

oh hell no, i’m going to go do the leagel drug. get drunk, beat up my wife,
    start a fight with someone i don’t even know and wake up with a hangover, unless i happen to crash my car into another car full of kids or a family. hell i can get another liver when this one gives out. i can even get drunk with a cop, judge or the pope if i want. isn’t life great.

34. Lindsey December 5, 2008 at 3:44 am #

I fucking love drugs!

35. bro December 5, 2008 at 11:54 am #

Holy Shit, these middle aged state employees are really hip with the kids! I am convinced! Pot? FUCK THAT SHIT IF I CANT DO A MAZE

36. Lolyouguys December 6, 2008 at 12:22 am #

Lol, I looked at that maze, there is no exit (and that’s not a metaphor)…

I also got baked and found other mazes to do. I do stuff like this for fun when I’m high. :l

Remember, thousands of pot smoking americans still have full time jobs, functional families and good homes – Many give up pot anywhere from their 20’s to their 50’s, and even younger – Those whose lives were messed up by it were the stupid ones.

37. t5 December 6, 2008 at 10:27 am #

yes, the first three jobs sound awesome! where do i send my resume??

38. Amz December 6, 2008 at 10:43 am #

I love that they advertise that people who smoke pot are useless and dumb. Some of the brightest people at my university are avid smokers and don’t look to be stopping anytime soon.

39. Kevin December 6, 2008 at 12:30 pm #

If you honestly think marijuana will lead you to get lost and ” NEVER ” find your way back to a reality then you are very wrong. Plus that reality has been made to make you feel like an outcast becuase the government likes to make money. They have brainwashed our familys and co-workers and teachers and peers into believing we ” pot smokers ” are criminals. Ha Ha Ha OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE

GOOGLE – The Union: The business behind getting high

Great Documentary ! Watch this and you will realize “pot heads” are not idiots loosing brain cells, but people actually being more successful than you would ever guess ! And the government, by PROHIBITING marijuana is leading to actual drug dealers becoming more successful, making 120k to 300k a year, watering plants in thier basement than people going to school for Four years and working 60+ hours a week ! A Drug Dealers worst nightmare, The U.S. Government LEGALIZING Marijuana!!!! believe it !!!!

40. mik December 6, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

Holy shit I’m baked. Gonna find a maze on the internet. That’ll be fun.

41. E. O'Donovan December 6, 2008 at 1:59 pm #

I was looking at the first “user submitted” poster, with the increasingly large joints and blunts and the increasingly silly things that people who smoked them did. The last one, which is meant to be the frightening one, reads “Spent the night in jail.” What this says to me is “weed is silly, but the government will punish you for enjoying it if they catch you.”

Great.

42. guy December 6, 2008 at 3:34 pm #

Hell, if it wasn’t for pot I wouldn’t even take my dog for a walk. Without pot, I’m a brain-dead, aimless, unmotivated asshole that can’t seem to get past the grumpiness in the morning. With it, I’m a dreamer, an idealist, a social creature, and I actually want to make myself a better person. Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know.

Also, I agree with the idea that these ads are actually targeting the social stigma against pot smokers. Also, if you look at the current trend of non-smokers (cigarette), these types of ads seemingly work if you give them time to take hold. The only problem is that cigarettes owe most of their popularity to their advertising and their integration into our ACCEPTED culture. Pot users have consistently been stereotyped as lazy, unmotivated people, and it’s the social opinion remaining pervasive to this negative exposure that keeps pot in demand.

43. wordHOMIE December 6, 2008 at 11:47 pm #

god seriously FUCK all that shit, it pisses me off so much
    they don’t have one fact about people dying or getting sick from it in any of those, they just put shit on there cus they think thats what happens to everyone that smokes da dank, its fucking bullshit
    weed is fuckin amazing thats all there is too it

44. geordie December 7, 2008 at 1:13 am #

In many respects pot already is legal. Just make sure that you’re white and not too poor and nine cops out of ten will turn a blind eye to your misbehavior. These laws were originally enacted to give law enforcement another cudgel to employ against Mexican immigrants, or those whom they resembled. And now the incarceration industry requires a continuing stream of imprisoned citizens in order to thrive. If you ever become impoverished, you’ll quickly find that a different set of laws apply to you.

As long as the alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceutical companies find it to their advantage to suppress the use of other recreational substances, then I can’t see the war on drugs ending.

45. sam December 7, 2008 at 6:21 am #

i want a burrito so much nowwww

46. Dolla's December 7, 2008 at 6:31 am #

HaHa…. Try Football.

47. Cheefy mcStoned December 7, 2008 at 6:36 am #

hey!! us stoners don’t make hats out of ground beef! …we make sweaters out of chopped liver!

good one above the influence

48. Alex December 7, 2008 at 8:34 am #

Wel… I get the maze one and it’s quite true and accurate, if a non-stoner observes the poster, he sees no way out, but if a stoner looks at it, he or she realizes that there’s this whole third dimension unbounded to explore… which is unimaginable for the first tight ass dude. so well.
    We stoners are also unmotivated because we’re not a bunch of money-fame seeking dumbasses who cant spare some time and energy to stop and smell the roses, by the way, playing with animals while you’re high is, well really fun, although burrito tasting does sound like a good job, except burritos there in the states are really crappy, come to Tijuana and ill share some good weed and some great food.

49. Andri Kyrychok December 7, 2008 at 10:57 am #

Funny that one with the roaches and the “enlightenments” discovered by each joint smoked. The one where it says spent night in jail, wouldnt that be the governments fault for falsely imprisoning law abiding citizens for smoking natural herbs? They use the drug war as a reason. Ridiculous.

50. Tor December 7, 2008 at 11:10 am #

What Geordie said above in his last sentence pretty much sums it up….

As long as the Incarceration Industry in the “Land of the Free”, Big Tobacco, Pharma, and the Beer conglom-o’s continue to own congress and the Supreme Court, the failed War on Drugs will roll on.

I can’t help but think about the fast talking legal mumbo jumbo in the drug ads on TV. You know the ones…”continued use of LegalDope may cause lesions, rectal bleeding, digestive issues, overproductive salivary glands, and in some cases blindness. Check with your pharma-shill….um Doctor for any drug interactions before taking LegalDope.”

I laugh when I think of the side effects listing for Pot…

“May cause drowsiness, giggles, munchies and an increased proficiency in video or computer gaming. Also may possibly get you laid if inhibitions are lowered sufficiently”

Yeah, I would rather vote option 2.

Things have gotten way out of control. They’re listening to our conversations; they are building bigger, better prisons all the time; they are trying to hack away at the Bill Of Rights until it has been eliminated completely…yikes!!!

I need to go smoke some kind buds to calm down…. thinking about that scared the crap out of me.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. tps-report.org » Blog Archive » Weird anti Marijuana ads - February 11, 2009

[…] the Designerhigh website, it looks like ads from the “above the influence” campaign urging folks not to […]

2. Regina - November 6, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | http://bit.ly/i2PVd #mmot #drugwar (via @420tribune.com)

3. 420 Tribune - November 7, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | http://bit.ly/i2PVd #mmot #drugwar

4. Marijuana Junkie - November 9, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune / http://bit.ly/1wL9XL

5. Marijuana Junkie - November 9, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune / http://bit.ly/1wL9XL

6. Marijuana Junkie - November 9, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune / http://bit.ly/1wL9XL

7. Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune » Above, Ignorance, Influence, Tribune, More , Personally » My 420 Friends WeedPress - November 26, 2009

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune Related […]

8. Por encima de la ignorancia de encima de la influencia - January 25, 2010

[…] Por encima de la ignorancia de encima de la influencia  420tribune.com/2009/11/above-the-ignorance/  por nickcobb hace 6 segundos […]

9. Is Cannabis Treated Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) | National Cannagraphic Magazine @Cannagraphic.com - April 30, 2010

[…] Economy (cannagraphic.com)Infographic Look at US Banks and Deposits by County (politicalpwn.com)Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com)« Hello Drugs a Collection of Happy Character ArtworksShare your viewPost a […]

10. Is Cannabis Treated Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) | National Cannagraphic Magazine @Cannagraphic.com - April 30, 2010

11. Shinto Cannabis Prayer of Amaterasu Omikami | National Cannagraphic Magazine @Cannagraphic.com - May 14, 2010

[…] Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) (cannagraphic.com)Tokyo, Japan at Night (tours4free.com)Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com)Gymkhana – Ken Block (sportandmotor.com)Cabbage Soup Diet and 7 Day Diet Plan […]

12. Is Cannabis Treated Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) | 420 News - May 19, 2011

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com) 127 comments » […]

13. Shinto Cannabis Prayer of Amaterasu Omikami | 420 News - June 4, 2011

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com) […]

14. “Above The Influence” Football Ad » Colorado Cannabis Blog - September 29, 2011

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune @420Tribune.com. […]