Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence

This is just a small collection of the print ads being used by Above the Influence. All but one are for cannabis. Sorry, I couldn’t resist adding the cocaine one. It was simply too funny.

Apparently, being a burrito taster is one of the few jobs available to cannabis tokers. I don’t mind the anti-cannabis clowns turning children and teens away from the substance, but this is just ridiculous. I’d be willing to bet this ad was drafted by a stoner. A graphic designer and not a burrito taster.

Nevermind that, we can also competently operate a television remote. Just so you know, my remote isn’t even programmed. I guess I’ll just have to go with the burrito tasting.

There’s one for all of us smokers. I bet Irv Rosenfeld will quit his job as a stockbroker and take them up on this. No one wants to be a full-time sucker, even non-smokers.

Don’t snort coke (I mean it, the shit is awful), you may turn to goo.

Smoke reefer and get lost. You’ll never find your way back to the reality you were running from.

The best solution for a smoker with a dog? Just get a backyard and then he can walk himself, leaving you to the wonders of sloth forever.

That’s why I smoke. To get laid.

Here are posters added by readers:

Tags: , , , ,

114 Responses to “Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence”

1. YogaforCynics December 2, 2008 at 3:12 pm #

Gotta admit the pot leaf maze one is pretty clever….

2. michelle December 2, 2008 at 3:28 pm #

if *above the influence* really wants to be informative, maybe they should start with facts …. oh well, i guess the *facts* might give the wrong impression, like truth about the government and the “lost war on drugs”.

3. Kimberly Bock December 2, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

Hmm, ‘potheads’..I took the blow on that one. The ads are humorous, but, ‘potheads’ are falsely stigmatized. Not everyone who smokes pot turns into a bowl of jello.

Take me for example, I recently removed pot from my uhem diet. It was the last of a looong line of substances on the list to go.

You see, I believe in it’s medicinal properties to be beneficial and of great value to suffering ones, whether it be physical or (some) mental conditions.

Without pot, I would’ve NEVER been able to tolerate kicking the needle, kicking the crack, or changing behaviors without it. I am Bipolar and have been given every possible combo of meds and have only, in the last couple of weeks found a combo of meds that seem to ‘hold down the fort.’ (I am 38. It took approx 21 yrs)

Yes, it was an illegal choice, yet the better of two evils for me. I wouldve been under a bridge with fellow junkies as we speak had it not kept me grounded. Gladly, if consequences were to follow as I used, I would’ve welcomed it before welcoming the suffering I’ve lived with for most of my life.

I fly at warp speed, o naturale, so pot ‘helped’ to calm me. I still had a tremendous amount of energy. More than the ‘normal’ people around me.

Like anything else on this planet that is pleasurable, it can be addictive. So can cake for overeaters.

Serial killers like alcohol, are not only legal but encouraged by grown men and women who KNOW and understand it’s murderous rampage. And it does not discriminate. That any of us allow alcohol to be legal baffles me. But then again, if it were to be responsible for the car accident that killed a loved one, they begin to think twice. when too late.

I do not believe we need yet another over the counter mush brain creator. We all know there will be those who abuse it as we are gimme gimme gimme types of people today. If it feels good do it..

But it should be properly noted by our government for it’s medicinal uses and be made available by prescription for those in dire need. It is far safer than most drugs that are legally on the market today.

I hope it never hits the street wide open, but, sufferers are in need of help that they are otherwise sometimes deprived of. I am living proof.

Am I expendable? Is anyone? Alcohol kills. Pot has real life medicinal healthy potential.

PS: I am not irritated or anything. Just a blabber mouth. And these photos are a hoot. lol

4. origin December 2, 2008 at 6:32 pm #

PROPAGANDA. Not a single fact on any of those above the influence posters. Did you know that The Partnership for a Drug Free America has THE BIGGEST ad budget of anything in America, even the Armed Forces? This is not about public health.

5. brian December 3, 2008 at 12:04 pm #

Re: origin –

Can you supply some sources for your claim that the PDFA has the biggest budget of anything in America? I somehow doubt that that is true, considering the American Armed Forces has an approximate yearly budget of around $700 billion… there is no way that a non-profit organization like the PDFA can come anywhere near that budget, no matter how much they receive in donations from the likes of the big Pharma companies, the Cig companies, and the Beer companies (and I find it hilarious and pathetic that they get so much money from companies that for all intents and purposes are drug-producing companies).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDFA#Criticism

6. drew December 3, 2008 at 12:40 pm #

he said biggest budget for an ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT.
    He is saying that the advertising budget for the PDFA is greater than the ADVERTISING budget of the US armed forces. Which is possible, though the army has plenty of ads, i would have to say that PDFA ads pop up in my life at least 5 times as often.

Also, it is ridiculous that none of these ads offers any facts about drug use, and rely on humor and gross stereotyping to try to either scare kids, or get them thinking “hey, these PDFA guys get our hip teenage humor, lets do what they say!”
    They can easily (and do) print ads with statistics about tobacco and lung cancer, about drinking and liver damage, about teenage alcohol poisoning, about drunk driving fatalities. Unfortunately they dont have any facts about pot causing health problems, or leading to fatalities, so they have to come up with other screwy reasons that its bad.
    Remember, the man we just elected president is open about the fact that he smoked pot, doesnt look like it kept him unemployed.

7. thewallofchina December 3, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

Yeah, dude. I’ve emailed Uranus like 16 times when I get baked. I think it’s necessary.

The hat out of beef, though. That’s just silly.

8. Alex December 3, 2008 at 1:10 pm #

He said ad budget, the amount spent on advertising. The Us armed forces has a $700 billion total annual budget. The partnership for a drug free america is an organization based entirely around advertising, so it would make sense that their advertising budget would be a huge portion of their entire budget.

9. fcw December 3, 2008 at 1:14 pm #

Love that first one. I’ve smoked cannabis for 37 years (more than half the time it’s been illegal). I graduated at the top of my class in both high school and college, started grad school at age 20, and had a 24-year career as a software engineer. I retired on my savings from that career two years ago, when I was 49. But hey, maybe I should have tried that couch-guard thing.

I would never have believed in 1971, when I first lit up, that it would still be illegal in 2008. It’s the most ridiculous law in history.

10. Anal_Avenger December 3, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

When I first saw the ad for Proff. Burrito Taster, I was so psyched 😐

Fuck the man! Always lyin to me. :( *sob*

11. Frank Whitehouse December 3, 2008 at 1:22 pm #

Man these squares up in Washington have no idea what makes kids work. It’s funny most lame-brain parent types sit around for hours watching the tube, eating some grub the little woman cooked up, jealously guarding their spot on the couch…it’s the American dream. Yet when some kid is just looking to have some fun smokes some dope, eats a burrito or two, giggles while watching some TV show all while sitting on mom and dads couch it’s cause for alarm. Man getting his is fun; that’s while people do it. Kids like having fun and that’s why they get high. Playing football is dumb and boring and most football players becoming drunken losers later on anyway, usually becoming the drunken dad types who zone out on the tube for hours on end. Only the biggest nerd square is going to be influenced by these uptight ads. Real kids just want to get high and get laid and if anyone says differently, I bet you were probably a pretty lame kid.

12. Mister.de December 3, 2008 at 2:19 pm #

excellent work 😀

13. harry December 3, 2008 at 2:19 pm #

Heaps of scientific research and experiences in nations that allow the use of Marijuana show that it is no big deal at all, certainly not compared to an accepted hard-drug like alcohol. The attitude of the society is much more harmful than the substance itself. The government must realize this?

So what can be the real reason to keep Marijuana illegal and lock normal people up in jails? I have heard that prisoners are made to work for nearly nothing; could it be slavery in disguise? (Just guessing here.)

14. subverter December 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm #

people just have irrational fears of things, and when those things are illegal, they feel as though they can give voice to their inanities without being labeled asinine. i blaze, im finishing up my MA, and im on a career path most “omg straight edgers” would kill for. choke on that, fucking uptight conservative jackasses.

15. ms December 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm #

Actually these ads should be commonplace, but the laws should not be. There is evidence that suggests marijuana use by those under a certain adult age DOES cause health problems, including making chemical changes in the brain. The link to schizophrenia is stronger there I believe, but look it up. I don’t think kids should use it period. The risk is too great. They can wait and the advertising campaigns and the education is what they need. But they won’t get hardly any of it because the money goes to “crime-fighting.”

As far as adults though, there’s much less danger, certainly when compared to Alchohol or even caffiene, and MUCH safer than prescription drugs. Look up those stats, I think you’ll be surprised how safe Cannabis is, even if it makes you kooky.

Let’s just remember that when something legal and available, you basically kill off the criminal incentive behind it. Why would I seek out a cannabis dealer when my neighbors might be producing plants? Education is where it’s at. But there’s too much money to be made in putting people in jail. Government seems to like that point of control.

16. Comedy Blog December 3, 2008 at 2:49 pm #

Don’t these just make you want to smoke dope even more?

17. Tim December 3, 2008 at 3:03 pm #

They used to have a hilarious video on their site called “Stoners in the Mist.” It so ridiculous that you can’t help but laugh!!

18. Clyde December 3, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

BS. I make 62k a year, own a new car, have four dogs….and we walk them stoned or not thanks very much, and I smoke pretty much every night (Vaporizer FTW!) So these guys can take their failed drug war and suck my cock. I get it whenever I want it, just have to pick up the phone or send an IM. Just as easy to get as beer.

19. Graham O' Malley December 3, 2008 at 3:32 pm #

Fuck! I guess my masters degree in computer science counts for nothing now, as by smoking regularly all through college and pretty much the last 10 years all I’m qualified to do is be a bad stereotype that sits around doing nothing and eating food……

There should be a law about actually basing these anti-drugs acts on, I don’t know, facts, the truth, logic or rational thought?

20. Jacob December 3, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

Graham, the problem with that plan is that then they wouldn’t be anti-drug ads.

21. Uhoh December 3, 2008 at 4:36 pm #

Does this mean that I’m going to lose my job as an MD because I smoke some pot on the weekends?

22. Someguy December 3, 2008 at 5:03 pm #

You know what all this is? Slander! Steriotyping! Prejudice!

Please check the link in my name to find out how you can join our fight for legalization.

23. KBall December 3, 2008 at 5:54 pm #

If smoking weed and playing Madden is wrong, then I don’t want to be right!

24. duncan_mcloud December 3, 2008 at 7:02 pm #

I think that what most scares the conservatives is the possibility of escalation. One could very reasonably argue that if marijuana were to be legalized then the users of more serious drugs would feel as they have some justifiable clame as to why their particular pastime should also be legalized. I’ve never smoked weed nor do I intend to once it’s legalized (and it will be) but if that’s how you choose to treat your body and you’ve been educated on the effects then go ahead.

25. The dude December 3, 2008 at 8:08 pm #

My only real problem with anti marijuana advertising is it increases the hostility of non marijuana smokers towards marijuana smokers, and that’s the idea. They know, or at least I hope they do, that they can never ever convince anyone who has ever smoked pot and knows the truth. Their aim is therefore to increase the social stigma associated with pot, in the hope to make it uncool enough to convince people to not try it.

26. bdeimen December 3, 2008 at 8:41 pm #

What I always find amusing is how these ad campaigns use jail time as a way of showing that drugs, specifically marijuana, are harmful, even though the harm comes from the societal attitude and legal situation, not the drug itself.

27. nigger clown December 3, 2008 at 9:07 pm #

fuck i love walking my dog when i am high! do i disprove that picture?

28. Bruno_hakaloogi December 3, 2008 at 9:09 pm #

Many of you have very valid points that I completely agree with. Yea, if gettin hi and playin Call of Duty 4 or W.A.W. is wrong I dont want to be right either KBALL!!

I wish people would open their minds, it is proven to aid cancer patients with numerous symptoms. Who knows what else it can do but we cant find out until a change is made.

They depict your average stoner as a lethargic couch potato who accomplishes nothing, I myself work on a MOTO GP pit crew as the assistant crew chief and love to ride myself. Nothing like a fat bowl of skunk to get me in the mood for a nice sunny afternoon ride down some curvy lake-side roads. I am also an avid rock climber who likes to feel connected to nature and the rock. I may not perform these activities better but I sure as hell dont lose any motor skills nor reaction time and if so its in the nano-seconds. Ive dont a time trial with myself using the same bike, same conditions, half of them high and half of them not. My times, averaged separately, were not 1/10th of a second off. Put that in your hash pipe and smoke it!!!

29. mutant minds December 4, 2008 at 1:20 am #

No jobs for potheads? What? Has someone gone around and killed every musician alive? Did I miss a memo?

30. The HIGHrophant December 4, 2008 at 2:09 am #

If above the influence stuck to the facts about marijuana they’d be saying awesome stuff like “makes you feel amazing!!” and “Makes everything hilarious!!” and “You can’t overdose, have a hangover, or become physically addicted!!” oh and “Makes you eat alot of food, and it’s even more delicious!”

not very anti-drug

31. smokey McTree December 5, 2008 at 1:57 am #

Looks as if the maze one is advertising marijuana as a game cause isnt thats all a maze truely is

32. Calvin December 5, 2008 at 2:41 am #

I guess all the reefer I’ve smoked that’s enabled me to understand myself and those around me better, helping me with my psychology degree was bullshit. I guess if I want to keep smoking, I should drop out of grad school and scrap my case study.

33. dan December 5, 2008 at 3:42 am #

oh hell no, i’m going to go do the leagel drug. get drunk, beat up my wife,
    start a fight with someone i don’t even know and wake up with a hangover, unless i happen to crash my car into another car full of kids or a family. hell i can get another liver when this one gives out. i can even get drunk with a cop, judge or the pope if i want. isn’t life great.

34. Lindsey December 5, 2008 at 3:44 am #

I fucking love drugs!

35. bro December 5, 2008 at 11:54 am #

Holy Shit, these middle aged state employees are really hip with the kids! I am convinced! Pot? FUCK THAT SHIT IF I CANT DO A MAZE

36. Lolyouguys December 6, 2008 at 12:22 am #

Lol, I looked at that maze, there is no exit (and that’s not a metaphor)…

I also got baked and found other mazes to do. I do stuff like this for fun when I’m high. :l

Remember, thousands of pot smoking americans still have full time jobs, functional families and good homes – Many give up pot anywhere from their 20’s to their 50’s, and even younger – Those whose lives were messed up by it were the stupid ones.

37. t5 December 6, 2008 at 10:27 am #

yes, the first three jobs sound awesome! where do i send my resume??

38. Amz December 6, 2008 at 10:43 am #

I love that they advertise that people who smoke pot are useless and dumb. Some of the brightest people at my university are avid smokers and don’t look to be stopping anytime soon.

39. Kevin December 6, 2008 at 12:30 pm #

If you honestly think marijuana will lead you to get lost and ” NEVER ” find your way back to a reality then you are very wrong. Plus that reality has been made to make you feel like an outcast becuase the government likes to make money. They have brainwashed our familys and co-workers and teachers and peers into believing we ” pot smokers ” are criminals. Ha Ha Ha OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE

GOOGLE – The Union: The business behind getting high

Great Documentary ! Watch this and you will realize “pot heads” are not idiots loosing brain cells, but people actually being more successful than you would ever guess ! And the government, by PROHIBITING marijuana is leading to actual drug dealers becoming more successful, making 120k to 300k a year, watering plants in thier basement than people going to school for Four years and working 60+ hours a week ! A Drug Dealers worst nightmare, The U.S. Government LEGALIZING Marijuana!!!! believe it !!!!

40. mik December 6, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

Holy shit I’m baked. Gonna find a maze on the internet. That’ll be fun.

41. E. O'Donovan December 6, 2008 at 1:59 pm #

I was looking at the first “user submitted” poster, with the increasingly large joints and blunts and the increasingly silly things that people who smoked them did. The last one, which is meant to be the frightening one, reads “Spent the night in jail.” What this says to me is “weed is silly, but the government will punish you for enjoying it if they catch you.”

42. guy December 6, 2008 at 3:34 pm #

Hell, if it wasn’t for pot I wouldn’t even take my dog for a walk. Without pot, I’m a brain-dead, aimless, unmotivated asshole that can’t seem to get past the grumpiness in the morning. With it, I’m a dreamer, an idealist, a social creature, and I actually want to make myself a better person. Maybe it’s just me, I don’t know.

Also, I agree with the idea that these ads are actually targeting the social stigma against pot smokers. Also, if you look at the current trend of non-smokers (cigarette), these types of ads seemingly work if you give them time to take hold. The only problem is that cigarettes owe most of their popularity to their advertising and their integration into our ACCEPTED culture. Pot users have consistently been stereotyped as lazy, unmotivated people, and it’s the social opinion remaining pervasive to this negative exposure that keeps pot in demand.

43. wordHOMIE December 6, 2008 at 11:47 pm #

god seriously FUCK all that shit, it pisses me off so much
    they don’t have one fact about people dying or getting sick from it in any of those, they just put shit on there cus they think thats what happens to everyone that smokes da dank, its fucking bullshit
    weed is fuckin amazing thats all there is too it

44. geordie December 7, 2008 at 1:13 am #

In many respects pot already is legal. Just make sure that you’re white and not too poor and nine cops out of ten will turn a blind eye to your misbehavior. These laws were originally enacted to give law enforcement another cudgel to employ against Mexican immigrants, or those whom they resembled. And now the incarceration industry requires a continuing stream of imprisoned citizens in order to thrive. If you ever become impoverished, you’ll quickly find that a different set of laws apply to you.

As long as the alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceutical companies find it to their advantage to suppress the use of other recreational substances, then I can’t see the war on drugs ending.

45. sam December 7, 2008 at 6:21 am #

i want a burrito so much nowwww

46. Dolla's December 7, 2008 at 6:31 am #

HaHa…. Try Football.

47. Cheefy mcStoned December 7, 2008 at 6:36 am #

hey!! us stoners don’t make hats out of ground beef! …we make sweaters out of chopped liver!

good one above the influence

48. Alex December 7, 2008 at 8:34 am #

Wel… I get the maze one and it’s quite true and accurate, if a non-stoner observes the poster, he sees no way out, but if a stoner looks at it, he or she realizes that there’s this whole third dimension unbounded to explore… which is unimaginable for the first tight ass dude. so well.
    We stoners are also unmotivated because we’re not a bunch of money-fame seeking dumbasses who cant spare some time and energy to stop and smell the roses, by the way, playing with animals while you’re high is, well really fun, although burrito tasting does sound like a good job, except burritos there in the states are really crappy, come to Tijuana and ill share some good weed and some great food.

49. Andri Kyrychok December 7, 2008 at 10:57 am #

Funny that one with the roaches and the “enlightenments” discovered by each joint smoked. The one where it says spent night in jail, wouldnt that be the governments fault for falsely imprisoning law abiding citizens for smoking natural herbs? They use the drug war as a reason. Ridiculous.

50. Tor December 7, 2008 at 11:10 am #

What Geordie said above in his last sentence pretty much sums it up….

As long as the Incarceration Industry in the “Land of the Free”, Big Tobacco, Pharma, and the Beer conglom-o’s continue to own congress and the Supreme Court, the failed War on Drugs will roll on.

I can’t help but think about the fast talking legal mumbo jumbo in the drug ads on TV. You know the ones…”continued use of LegalDope may cause lesions, rectal bleeding, digestive issues, overproductive salivary glands, and in some cases blindness. Check with your pharma-shill….um Doctor for any drug interactions before taking LegalDope.”

I laugh when I think of the side effects listing for Pot…

“May cause drowsiness, giggles, munchies and an increased proficiency in video or computer gaming. Also may possibly get you laid if inhibitions are lowered sufficiently”

Yeah, I would rather vote option 2.

Things have gotten way out of control. They’re listening to our conversations; they are building bigger, better prisons all the time; they are trying to hack away at the Bill Of Rights until it has been eliminated completely…yikes!!!

I need to go smoke some kind buds to calm down…. thinking about that scared the crap out of me.

51. Ron December 8, 2008 at 1:41 pm #

You can’t stereotype people based on their recreational drug use. Do all coffee drinkers try to email Uranus? Do all beer drinkers have big guts? I hope you see where I’m going with this.

Much like Subverter, I am holding down an upper-management level career, I own a house and a car, I have an excellent and stable relationship with my partner as well as my friends and family, and I smoke pot at least once a day and have for almost 10 years.

Don’t paint everyone with the same brush.

• Scott September 8, 2010 at 8:50 am #

Yeah I can say this is so true Ron – The problem is all the decent hard working users are invisible, so all people see are the losers that use – sort of like gay people – people only see the extremes. I have a theory that this gateway drug crap is caused by the authorities lying about a great and harmless drug – when people do try it and find out how not evil it is it makes people say “I wonder what other drugs I have been lied to about- think I’ll try some”

• atp July 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Or you are just more predisposed to try other ones anyway. I would have tried other drugs if they’d been offered to me, weed was just the first and most available. I know plenty of people who never want to go anywhere else in the drug world anyway. The people who seek out other drugs would have one way or another.

• buddy green August 3, 2011 at 9:45 am #

i like sober.

i like grass.

opinions are like buttholes everyone has one so shut up about weather or not its a good thing or a bad thing. its just a thing. may not be everyones thing but neither is beer or college.

52. Pothead December 8, 2008 at 5:50 pm #

So, above the influence. If a dog talked to me while I was stoned…I’m just gonna have to say that’s some AWESOME pot right there, probably laced with acid but ya know whatever…

Also, potheads are not bad. I’m a pothead. Proud of it. No overdoses with weed, no talking dogs….just relax and chill. No long term effects. Hell smoking weed is LESS dangerous than smoking ciggarettes.

• the psychemist October 18, 2010 at 9:25 am #

When LSD is burned it’s destroyed, so that talking dog is _pure fiction_ designed to prove a (albeit weak) point. Plus you’d be more likely to see your dog’s fur breathing and colorful patterns dancing on his face than hallucinate him talking anyway.

An old friend of mine (a Christian thru and thru) posted something boldly stereotypical about Bob Marley and potheads on his facebook. Several of his friends responded defending Bob Marley’s music, but nobody defended weed. I responded with “Where in the Bible does it say it’s good to judge others before you meet them?”. He deleted the whole post yesterday. THATs the difference we need to make!

53. "POTHEAD" December 8, 2008 at 7:57 pm #

“made a hat out of meat”
    okay, smoking pot doesnt make you stupid.
    yeah, you lose your short term memory loss temporarily but after it wears off your back to yourself

not to mention its less addictive than tobacco and alcohol which are LEGAL.
    and also is the only one you cant overdose on
    AND has the least health risk

dont live above the influence, BE the influence

54. sunshine December 8, 2008 at 8:13 pm #

you stupid fucks who the hell would listen to this shit

• bargleess October 2, 2010 at 11:31 am #

lots of people who like clarity, sunshine!

55. harry_ December 8, 2008 at 9:05 pm #

One thing that nearly EVERYONE on the other side of this issue fails to comprehend is the simple fact that someone that uses marijuana is not necessarily a ‘stoner’ and more than you can label a beer drinker as a drunk.

Yes, some beer drinkers ARE drunks. Equally some pot smokers ARE stoners.

I have been smoking pot since the 7th grade. I am now 43, and consider myself a productive member of society. I also cant think of the last time I smoked a WHOLE joint in one sitting. I have no use for being that high. It would by far and wide exceed my personal level of enjoyment, just like i dont like to drink alcohol until I am sloppy drunk.

There IS a thing called moderation, and many of us pot smokers understand that.

56. D December 8, 2008 at 9:32 pm #

So…. ummm funny because my first semester of college I had all Cs and two Ds and I just drank that semester…. I was introduced to canabis my next semester and my grades improved…. I smoke every now and then cause I am busy…and I dont have time smoke sometimes and I am till this day a straight A student. I am not addicted to weed. and I love weed soo much but not enough to put it first than my schooling and my education. Also I have taken psychology classes about marajuana. The only effects there really are is that you can get lung diseases from smoking. Psychologically, there really none. AND NO ONE HAS EVER DIED FROM WEED. Its is impossible to smoke enough to OD…….

57. Skeeter December 8, 2008 at 7:43 pm #

I work full time in Marketing, do freelance journalism for a respectable publication, run my own DJ business, maintain a 2 year relationship with a fellow-pothead, produce music and dabble in freelance graphic design. I smoke a lot of weed and have no problems being self-motivated and earn more than a living. So if I am to be labeled a “pothead”, so be it. Damn proud…

• Jed June 21, 2012 at 3:29 am #

Uh…Nevermind..I Found Out 😛

58. 420Strudel December 9, 2008 at 8:45 pm #

Makes me want to smoke more lol
    Weed could solve so many problems if legal…

59. Olivander December 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm #

“…there aren’t many jobs out there for potheads.” Funny, I have two.

• the psychemist October 18, 2010 at 9:40 am #

On the other hand, if most jobs didn’t drug test, there would be many more jobs for potheads. College kids take all the heat for this too. I’m making the healthier choice while my neighbor frat-bags are slamming cases a night. They skip most classes and go to work hung over, but make $20 an hour because they knew somebody. In the meantime I’m lucky with my $12/hr that doesn’t drug test, and I EARN that 12/hr and come to work sober every day. Wanna hear about injustice?

And I don’t think it ever occurs to anti-weed freaks that the “evil stoners” they refer to (the very few that exist) wouldn’t get jobs ANYWAY. Drug testing laws are only punishing people who would be good employees.

60. Frizz December 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm #

Let’s kill all the squares! Aaarghhhhh!

61. zach December 10, 2008 at 12:00 am #

Kimberly Bock,
    Don’t use the fact that you have a mental disorder to make it okay that you smoke crack and many other substances.You also refer to people that smoke pot are “pot heads” which says a lot about your stand on drugs, you also have another mental disorder, you are addicted and you have an addicted personality. I am basing all of this on “fact”.Also you are an idiot, you don’t know as much as you think you know. If you were smart, you would get psychiatrical help so you can cope with your disorders, and you don’t need prescription drugs to cure any of your problems. you need to stop bitching and except the fact that no one is ‘Perfect” or “normal”.

62. Richard December 10, 2008 at 10:33 am #

The fact that T.H.C. the active ingridiënt in marijuana CURES cancer and a few hundred other deseases is not well known. In fact the big pharma and governments keep this a secret even in the Netherlands. Infact , they will lose billions in income if people start to massively use this treatment and cure themselves. There are numerous people who cured themselves this way. Look up at youtube ‘run from the cure’ for testomonials. Don’t smoke it though this will burn the T.H.C., it will get you stoned but it will not CURE you! Make a hempoil , or use a good Vaporizer , this will not burn the thc and allow the thc to do it’s magic :) Spread the word! Peace

63. MARK December 10, 2008 at 10:36 pm #

pot forever!

64. TheOmnius December 17, 2008 at 12:44 am #

It’s not that they don’t see the good parts. Its just that there are more good parts to them in keeping it illegal. It allows for massive budgets for both law enforcement and the military, and gives them an easy “hard on crime/hard on drugs” stance to earn them some free votes.

Politicians seem to be unable to look past the next election.

65. nate December 17, 2008 at 12:25 am #

I can’t believe that the government doesn’t see the good parts of legalizing pot. I mean, once it’s legal everyone who used to buy it illegally is now going to buy it legally because, hey, who wants to go to the ghetto to get something you can get much more easily in a corner store? Not to mention the fact that the government could tax the SHIT out of that stuff and make assloads of money.

Not to mention the fact that you never hear of pot being the reason for people going all nuts and killing people. Not like alcohol anyway.

66. Rocksprites December 17, 2008 at 10:33 pm #

There are plenty of jobs for pot heads.

I’m sitting in my dorm at Umass Amherst. I’m majoring in Japanese language, and I smoke pot regularly. And of my friends who smoke weed every day? One is a Spanish major, the other is Psychology.

Yes, kids, you’ll never go anywhere in life if you smoke pot. You’ll just….sit on the couch all day.

Personally, I like to be outside enjoying life when I’m stoned.

67. e-dub December 21, 2008 at 7:28 am #

are they saying if i smoke that i will hear my hair grow? 😉
    cuz ill tell ya every time i smoke i WISH i could hear it growin.

fuck stereotypes. that is exactly what is keeping this shit from saving the planet. its like fear…and loathing…of cannabis and how awesome it really is for your health all around 😀

68. Franklin January 6, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

If you sit on your ass all day eating burritos you are a loser. You may be a loser that smokes weed, but you aren’t a loser because you smoke weed. But just for the hell of it let us use some simple logic to see whether or not the basis of this campaign is true.

-According to this anti-marijuana campaign all people that smoke weed are losers who accomplish nothing with their lives.
    -Barack Obama has admitted to using marijuana several times in the past (google it if you don’t believe me or don’t remember him saying it, there are even videos).
    -Barack Obama is now the president of the United States of America.
    -According to Above the Influence Barack Obama is a loser that has accomplished nothing with his life.

I would have to say that this conclusively proves that not everyone who uses pot is a loser.

I think Mr. Willie Nelson said it best, “I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong?”

I don’t really know why I went through all this bother. I shan’t convince anyone that can’t see that outlawing marijuana is wrong morally because of the implications of a) A group of people deciding a wild plant needs to become extinct (what if daises got you high if you smoked them?) and b) A group of people telling me what I can and cannot put into my body (what if sugar was outlawed because some people got diabetes from eating too much?). Not only that I bet no one even really reads this post anyway, stuck on the bottom and long as it is.

69. zach February 25, 2009 at 1:21 pm #

You guys are geniuses, I swear. Haha! It all makes sense. And if i could eat burritos for a living and travel around in a jet-pack, that’d be awesome.

70. Tyson! February 27, 2009 at 5:18 am #

Oh, you know who ever made these pictures were ripped out of their minds. ..
    I mean, come on. “Burrito Taster”? Pretty much speaks for itself…

71. nmsdf July 3, 2009 at 1:24 am #

Haha one time when I was high I ate a raw egg in front of my friends who all started shouting, “it’s semen!” and shit like that. I stopped, disgusted by the idea that it might be true. They barely filmed it cuz they were all high and laughing too hard. Then, of course, we laid on the couch and deflated, and told the dog to walk itself.

72. nmsdf July 3, 2009 at 1:33 am #

did you know moderate cocaine use isn’t as bad for you as moderate alcohol use? We think tons of people die from cocaine use because the media obviously isn’t gonna report on “healthy cocaine users.” Instead they blow up cocaine deaths every chance they get. Also, “meth-mouth” is due to lack of dental care, not adverse effects of meth on the gums, and is uncommon.

73. ddrt November 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm #

“There aren’t very many jobs out there for potheads”

You want me to name one? How about Graphic Artist, for that matter Web Designer. Two jobs that will outlast “truth.org” any day.

74. Stoney McStonerson November 9, 2009 at 3:38 pm #

Truth says I can’t get a job ’cause I’m a pothead?! That’s cool, I’ll just start my own business and make it big.. Oh wait, that already happened, annd weed was the key to my ambitions as it made me see life through an alternate perspective. Put that in your piece and smoke it, Truth.

75. December November 10, 2009 at 9:28 am #

I love it. Absolutely. Thanks for posting these.

76. The Reverend November 18, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

Even more terrifying than any of these career ads – pot may even make you pursue a philosophy degree. And you thought it was hard to find a job as a burrito taster!

77. Just a norml guy November 18, 2009 at 8:34 pm #

This does nothing but create stereotypes. I know I am not a lazy stoner. I don’t like government money being spent to portray stereotypes. Why don’t we just make some posters about lazy Mexicans, greedy Jews, or flamboyant homosexuals? Without a doubt everyone sees this as morally wrong, which just shows how desperate and flawed their tactics are.

This reminds me of an Onion News video called “It’s Gay to Smoke”

78. Farmer Brown November 18, 2009 at 9:30 pm #

Ok, i bet somebody is more likely to make a hat out of meat after getting drunk than smoking a blunt. I’m more responsible after smoking than i am after getting drunk, i can say that much.

79. Danny December 26, 2009 at 11:06 pm #

I’m a lazy stoner…I have run over people after leaving Wendy’s drive thru. I forgot to pick up my little brother from school…cause I was high. My dog talks to me. I can’t remember where I put my car keys. And making a hat out of meat isn’t a bad idea, as long as it was cooked. Think about it, clothes that you can cook and eat. I think I’m onto something…..

80. Jeff February 18, 2010 at 6:03 pm #

I’ve got a hat made out of ground beef… but that’s because it’s a Meatwad hat.

81. Apple March 7, 2010 at 3:41 am #

It’s funny how they say there “aren’t many jobs out there for pot smokers”. The majority of the people I know smoke pot, and they’re all doing quite well as far as jobs, relationships, and life is concerned. Hey… wanna know something absolutely INSANE?! I smoke weed all the time and I get A’s in all my classes in college! Oh, and get this… when I get high, I actually like… go out and DO things. I rarely watch TV, and while I do get mad munchies (no, really… I’m the munchie queen), it’s not like all I do all day is smoke pot and sit on my couch eating burritos. Grrr. >.<

82. Obviously March 10, 2010 at 11:22 am #

Wow, everyone that posted seems to think the same thing.

On a website called the 420 Tribune? WEIRD!

You are all preaching to the choir. Take a step outside your successful lives where you still manage to smoke weed, or try and understand why these ads are being run.

They are not directed at Ron, the happily married successful businessman that’s smoked pot for over 10 years. Or at the student who goes to UMass and regularly smokes pot.

Congratulations, you’re exceptions.

These ads are for children, to deter them from even trying pot in the first place. And while you can say that your life has been bettered by weed, there are still thousands of people that can say the opposite.

Ok, so Barack Obama tried smoking pot several times. Who gives a shit? It’s not about that, at all. It’s about the people who begin smoking and immerse their lives into it, lose determination for a successful future, and yeah, end up on the couch eating burritos. If you’re all the stoners you say you are, you can’t tell me you don’t know one of those.

So everyone has to read these ads. Yeah, that’s because you don’t know how you are going to react to pot in the long run (successful businessman or couch potato) until you’re already there. So its essentially taking a risk, one that will likely help some people and hurt a lot more people.

Seriously, if you are so happy about your weed habits, you shouldn’t feel the need to get defensive or even offended at these posters–come on, they’re not about you.

83. wut May 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

Dear Obviously,

Really? Thousands of others? Where did you read about these thousand of other people being ‘ruined’ by marijuana? Statistics? Articles? Studies? Where? I’d like to read them.

Also, for every -thousand- people you can find that can say otherwise against pot, I’m sure you can also found a thousand more FOR pot.

84. Libby June 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Weed doesn’t hurt people, idiots do.
    Legalize it.

85. P. June 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

Okay,I hang with ALOT of pot heads and everybody thinks that I am one…..My “boyfriend” has smoked pot for several years,and is bipolar.He refuses to take his meds and says that pot will make it better,and to be honest…he’s a total dick!

However,one of my best friends is ALWAYS high and he is a great person. He doesn’t pressure anyone to do anything,and honestly he’s a better driver when he’s high.And goes out of his way to make the people around him happy.Which isn’t very hard to do when most of them are also high.

I have smoked pot,and see no need in it.It isn’t everything it’s cracked up to be and ypu have to be smart to stay out of trouble,however,I do that these pics seriouslly over exacrate the effects of pot.Btw dude I suck at spelling. Haha Anyways,pot isn’t that bad but there is no need to get oober defensive about it on some random websight. And if I seen a talking dog while I was high,or sober, I sure as hell wouldn’t be talking to it!!!(:

86. Johnny July 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

To Obviously,

You say these posters are directed towards people that would be ruined by weed, but the people that are stoners that sit around doing nothing but eating burritos when they’re high would be doing that weather they were high or not. Marijuana is not a cause of anyone’s success or failure. All these people on here are saying they are successful despite using marijuana, not because of it (maybe with an exception or two). No one is a failure because of using marijuana. They’re a failure because they sit around on their ass and are content to do that. They use marijuana to escape their shitty lives, they don’t have shitty lives because of marijuana.

They’ve been doing the same thing to kids for generations. Trying to trick them into abstinence of (fill in the blank) because they don’t have any facts about it. Now I’m not saying kids should do drugs, but if we learn anything from previous generations shouldn’t we realize that trying to use propaganda on children only works until no one is watching them. Then they’re flat out misinformed and going to get curious and want to know themselves anyways. Which seems to me much more dangerous then telling them unbiased facts to begin with. Besides, when you tell a teenager not to do something, that’s usually the first thing they do when they get the chance. We should be teaching children self control, not lying to them every chance we get.

87. Katie C November 9, 2010 at 8:12 am #

So i used to be a pothead but i have learned to change my ways because of this whole above the influence cartoons. My dog began to talk to me once and i knew it was time for an intervention. Anyways i tried football and realized that the ladies really do dig it. I quit you can too!:):):) <3

88. Deryck May 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

step(1) Toss some primo seeds in some unkempt areas on a cops or city officials lawn.
    step(2) check on it regularly, and once it is visible take your girlfriend out with the HD video camera and randomly vid lawns under the premise of cataloging landscaping ideas. When to your surprise you notice a pot plant in the unkempt area of a home! Tell your girlfriend as you hit record that, “we should record this and take it to the authorities.” Crimestoppers will pay good for this. Its an open and shut case.
    step (3) Be very excited to be privy to a real live drug bust and be determined to capture the whole arrest and seizure on video so you can try and interest the local news with some eye witness feed. (make copies)
    step (4) If it gets swept under the rug, offer your NOW very valuable story to a larger news network. always maintaining your innocent by standing involvement with EVERYONE.
    step (5) Pat yourself on the back. You are an Unsung hero in the War on freedom and American civilians.

89. rock0head132 May 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

I want the couch security job man

90. raelynn July 24, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

haha, this is ridiculous. you will see how far you get in life with your guys’ type of thinking. drugs are bad plain and simple. and one day you will see what you guys are doing to your life. and dont say i dont know what i am talking about because i do. ask me where my brother is? i dont know out in the streets somewhere because he chose drugs and lust over work and a good life. you guys are the greatest ignorance population in the world. maybe there is a reason for that. why dont you grow some damn knowledge and see what the rest of the world is trying to tell you, oh yeah you cant because you fried all your brain cells.

• CriticalThinker420 October 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Imagine that, an idiot claiming pot smokers are somehow “ignorant” when he or she is ignorant of the proper usage of grammar. ROFLMAO

• Salutatorian Pot-Smoker November 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

You are a fucking idiot. Marijuana doesn’t fry brain cells. Probably, if you had paid attention is school, learned to use proper grammar, and understood the importance of assimilating information from many sources, you wouldn’t make such a bold, false statement as that.
      I’m sorry to hear about your brother, but I would bet that marijuana wasn’t the only drug he was doing.
      Finally, “Obviously” does make the good point that these ads are not directed at the successful pot-smokers. Their general purpose is positive and important.
      But 420 tribune is right, marijuana is not bad.

Learn the facts. Don’t just watch 30 second commercials by Above the Influence. Read a book.

91. nubwaxer September 27, 2014 at 11:46 am #

it has recently occurred to me that the word “marijuana” is a derogatory word and we should now use the word “cannabis”.

1. tps-report.org » Blog Archive » Weird anti Marijuana ads - February 11, 2009

[…] the Designerhigh website, it looks like ads from the “above the influence” campaign urging folks not to […]

2. Regina - November 6, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | http://bit.ly/i2PVd #mmot #drugwar (via @420tribune.com)

3. 420 Tribune - November 7, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | http://bit.ly/i2PVd #mmot #drugwar

4. Marijuana Junkie - November 9, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune / http://bit.ly/1wL9XL

5. Marijuana Junkie - November 9, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune / http://bit.ly/1wL9XL

6. Marijuana Junkie - November 9, 2009

Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune / http://bit.ly/1wL9XL

7. Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune » Above, Ignorance, Influence, Tribune, More , Personally » My 420 Friends WeedPress - November 26, 2009

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune Related […]

8. Por encima de la ignorancia de encima de la influencia - January 25, 2010

[…] Por encima de la ignorancia de encima de la influencia  420tribune.com/2009/11/above-the-ignorance/  por nickcobb hace 6 segundos […]

9. Is Cannabis Treated Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) | National Cannagraphic Magazine @Cannagraphic.com - April 30, 2010

[…] Economy (cannagraphic.com)Infographic Look at US Banks and Deposits by County (politicalpwn.com)Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com)« Hello Drugs a Collection of Happy Character ArtworksShare your viewPost a […]

10. Is Cannabis Treated Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) | National Cannagraphic Magazine @Cannagraphic.com - April 30, 2010

11. Shinto Cannabis Prayer of Amaterasu Omikami | National Cannagraphic Magazine @Cannagraphic.com - May 14, 2010

[…] Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) (cannagraphic.com)Tokyo, Japan at Night (tours4free.com)Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com)Gymkhana – Ken Block (sportandmotor.com)Cabbage Soup Diet and 7 Day Diet Plan […]

12. Is Cannabis Treated Unfairly in the United States (Infographic) | 420 News - May 19, 2011

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com) 127 comments » […]

13. Shinto Cannabis Prayer of Amaterasu Omikami | 420 News - June 4, 2011

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence (420tribune.com) […]

14. “Above The Influence” Football Ad » Colorado Cannabis Blog - September 29, 2011

[…] Above the Ignorance of Above the Influence | 420 Tribune @420Tribune.com. […]